Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyers
We Fight for Victims of Medical Injury
When we go in for a medical procedure, we entrust doctors, nurses, and hospital staff with our lives. We expect that they will use the highest degree of care in performing the procedure or diagnosing an illness. When a medical professional fails to meet the acceptable standard of care for the industry, they may be held responsible for medical malpractice.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of medical malpractice, contact the office of Fibich, Leebron, Copeland & Briggs for a free consultation. Our Houston medical malpractice lawyers have over 100 years of combined legal experience. We handle complex cases in Texas and nationwide.
At Fibich, Leebron, Copeland & Briggs, you pay nothing unless we win. Cases are handled on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that you only pay if we are successful in recovering money on your behalf. To date, our Houston medical malpractice lawyers have recovered over $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients.
Call today to speak with a skilled Houston medical malpractice lawyer at (713) 999-3681. We believe that injury victims deserve a champion.
The Devastating Cost of Medical Malpractice
According to an article published in the National Library of Medicine, medical errors are one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in the United States. Some studies indicated that medical malpractice accounts for over 250,000 deaths each year, making it the third leading cause of death prior to the COVID-19 health crisis.
By most accounts, the United States has a higher reported rate of medical errors than other developed countries. The tragic fact is that most of these mistakes are preventable, meaning that there are countless injuries and deaths caused by medical negligence each year.
Our Houston medical malpractice lawyers are committed to holding medical providers accountable for their wrongdoing. In order to get you the compensation you deserve and to save others in the future, negligent practitioners must be stopped.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice constitutes any deviation from accepted standards of care in the industry. This can include improper treatment or lack of treatment that results in injury or harm to a patient. Medical malpractice is not limited to surgical errors; it can also include the failure to diagnose, medication errors, or any other form of medical negligence.
It is essential to act fast if you believe that you have been the victim of medical malpractice. All claims for personal injury are subject to a statute of limitations. Generally speaking, under Texas law, you only have two years to file a lawsuit based on a medical error, but there are exceptions. It is imperative to discuss your case with an attorney as soon as possible.
Call our Houston medical malpractice lawyers today to book a free case evaluation.
Types of Medical Malpractice Cases
Medical malpractice encompasses a wide variety of different forms of negligence, medical errors, or mistakes. No matter what your situation, if you were seriously injured because of a healthcare provider, you need to discuss your legal rights with an experienced Houston medical malpractice lawyer immediately.
We represent medical injury victims who have suffered from the following:
- Surgical error – Surgical error includes any medical error that occurs before, during, or immediately following surgery. Common surgical errors include operation on the wrong-site, performing the wrong procedure, and mistakes while administering anesthesia.
- Misdiagnosis/failure to diagnose – Misdiagnosis or a failure to diagnose a condition is one of the most common forms of medical malpractice. It is estimated that medical diagnostic errors affect up to 12 million people each year.
- Liposuction surgery injuries – Liposuction is one of the leading forms of cosmetic surgical procedures performed in the United States. Complications from the surgery can be life-threatening, including blood clots and damage to internal organs.
- Dangerous/Defective Prescription Drugs – Pharmaceutical liability is a growing area of the law. With FDA approvals happening at record speed, many drugs are making it to the market without being proven safe and effective.
- Defective Medical Devices – Defective medical devices can cause irreparable harm to unsuspecting patients. Our firm has handled litigation against manufacturers of defective and dangerous products such as Physiomesh, Essure, Paragard, Philips CPAP machines, and more.
- Hospital malpractice – Hospital malpractice is one of the most dangerous forms of medical negligence. It usually involves multiple health care practitioners and a poor standard of care at the highest levels.
- Nursing malpractice – Nurses, just like all medical providers, take an oath, and must provide adequate care to all patients. When a nurse fails to provide that standard of care, they must be held liable for any harm.
- Birth injuries – Harm or injury to an infant during the labor and delivery process can have lifelong consequences. Typical forms of birth injuries include cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, hemorrhages, broken bones, and fractures.
- Nursing home negligence – Negligence and abuse in Texas nursing homes are common problems that affect one of our most vulnerable populations. Nursing home negligence can include actual abuse or a failure to provide adequate care.
- Other forms of medical malpractice – Other forms of medical malpractice that may result in liability include inadequate training of medical staff, performing a procedure on the wrong patient, and medication errors.
Holding Surgeons Accountable for “Never Events”
“Never Events” are medical errors that should never occur. Given the name by a former CEO of the National Quality Form, these events are considered “shocking medical errors” that result in serious harm to the patient. Many Never Events are preventable, meaning that the doctor or medical professional caused unnecessary injury or death to their patient.
Examples of Never Events include:
- Wrong-site, wrong-procedure, and wrong-patient errors
- Leaving a foreign object in a patient
- Use of contaminated drugs or devices
- Serious injury or death caused to a patient because of medication error
- Maternal death or serious injury during labor and delivery during a low-risk pregnancy
- Serious injury or patient death due to the use of restraints
Never Events must be eliminated from the medical field in order to save lives. If you were the victim of a medical Never Event, contact our office immediately.
Compassionate Advocates for Medical Malpractice Victims
A medical error or mistake can be catastrophic, leaving you unable to work or live a normal life. If you have suffered harm because of a health care provider’s negligence, you deserve compensation.
Our Houston medical malpractice lawyers are staunch advocates for injury victims, having obtained over $1 billion in verdicts and settlements for our clients. We know how important it is that medical malpractice is exposed and will aggressively pursue the maximum compensation in your case.
Whether you were the victim of misdiagnosis or a devastating surgical error, our knowledgeable medical malpractice lawyers can help. Call (713) 999-3681 today for a free consultation.
Contact Our Office for a Free Consultation
Injuries resulting from medical malpractice are rarely minor. Many medical mistakes or errors require years of costly treatments and therapy to fully recover. You should never have to pay out-of-pocket because of a health care provider’s negligence.
You deserve a compassionate, dedicated legal team that will always put your best interests first. Since 1992 we have provided injury victims with a voice and have been championing their rights in and out of the courtroom. Contact our office today for a free consultation.
Get over a century of legal experience by calling our office at (713) 999-3681.
We Will Give You a Voice
We handle complex cases across the nation. Get our nationally recognized trial lawyers on your side today.