Houston Dangerous Drug Lawyer
Handling Pharmaceutical Litigation Claims Since 1992
At Fibich, Leebron, Copeland & Briggs, our Houston dangerous drug attorneys opened our firm in 1992 to protect the best interests of every client facing pharmaceutical liability and defective drug litigation.
FDA-Approved Does Not Mean “Safe”!
Unfortunately, in today’s rush to get drugs and medical devices on the market, adequate testing and studies may not be done to ensure their safety. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) then has to issue recalls, market withdrawals, and safety alerts . At this point, the damage is often already done. Check here for the latest FDA drug recalls.
As consumers, we believe that the drugs we take or the medical devices we rely on have undergone rigorous testing and have met all safety standards put forth by the FDA and other regulatory agencies.
However, too often, dangerous over-the-counter and prescription drugs and defective devices make it to market, causing irreparable harm to patients across the country.
Our lawyers are committed to providing effective legal representation to achieve optimal results, both in and out of the courtroom. Fibich, Leebron, Copeland & Briggs has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® and succeeds under the leadership of Tommy Fibich.
If you have been injured by a drug or device, contact our Houston pharmaceutical lawyers for a free consultation.
Types of Dangerous Drug Cases We Handle
Our legal team offers experience, knowledge, and a commitment to success that you can trust. With years of experience in pharmaceutical liability, our team of Houston defective drug lawyers can bring everything together to effectively convey your damages.
In the past, we have represented clients with pharmaceutical liability claims such as:
We are currently accepting new cases related to injury caused by:
Get Started with a Free Consultation
Experience, skill, and an unwavering commitment to protecting consumer rights under defective drug laws drive our practice. Contact our Houston dangerous drug attorneys to discuss your pharmaceutical liability or wrongful death claim.
During a free consultation, we can explain how personal injury or wrongful death laws affect your situation. Unless you come forward with your claim, you will not be able to pursue the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries.
Pharmaceutical Liability Claims
Depending on the circumstances of the case, there may be one or more parties that can be held liable if you are injured by a drug or medical device. Negligent parties may include the drug manufacturer, the pharmacist, the hospital, or the individual physician.
- Drug manufacturer liability – When a pharmaceutical company pushes to put a drug or device on the market without performing adequate testing or in-depth studies, or uses deceptive practices to get it approved, they may be held liable for any harm the drug causes. Additionally, drug manufacturers may be held accountable for failing to warn consumers about all of the potential side effects.
- Pharmacist – If a pharmacist gives you the incorrect dosage of a prescription or the wrong medication altogether, they may be held responsible through a pharmaceutical liability claim.
- Hospital or Clinic – If you are a patient at a hospital or clinic and are given a dangerous drug, the wrong prescription, or an inappropriate dosage that causes harm, the medical center where you were treated may be held responsible for your injuries.
- Physician or another medical professional – In cases where a doctor or another medical professional prescribes you a dangerous drug, the wrong medication, or fails to ensure the appropriate dosage, they may be held liable in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Scope of the Problem: America’s Reliance on Pharmaceuticals
Our reliance on prescription drugs has increased drastically over the past thirty years:
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over 48% of the United States takes at least one prescription drug.
- Nearly one-quarter of Americans take three or more prescription drugs, and over twelve percent take five or more.
- There are almost three billion drugs ordered or provided each year.
With the heavy use of prescription drugs in the country, it is vital that manufacturers provide detailed information regarding the potential side effects, addictive properties, and risks associated with any pharmaceutical.
Thorough research, testing, and clinical trials must be performed before drugs reach the market. The FDA must enforce robust safety requirements prior to approval. Millions of people rely on prescription drugs and medical devices to prevent life-threatening conditions. When those drugs or devices cause serious injury, a negligent party must be held responsible. Call our office at (713) 999-3681 to speak directly with one of our Houston pharmaceutical liability lawyers.
Injuries Related to Dangerous Drugs and Defective Medical Devices
As noted in a study published by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) about the effects of drugs after they’ve reached the market, 30% of drugs that were FDA-approved ended up facing safety concerns after entering the market.
These issues are called “postmarket safety events” and refer to:
- A drug being withdrawn/recalled from the market due to safety concerns
- Warnings being added to product boxes after it has already hit the market
- Other safety communications being issued after a drug has already hit the market
The long-term effect of pharmaceuticals is often unknown until well after a drug or device is approved and on the market. Despite being branded as “safe and effective,” many drugs can have severe adverse side effects that may or may not be fully disclosed to a patient.
Serious injuries that can result from pharmaceuticals include:
- Heart attack
- Liver damage
- Increased risk for depression and suicide
- Bacterial infections
- Damage to internal organs
At Fibich, Leebron, Copeland & Briggs, our primary goal is always to resolve your pharmaceutical litigation matter efficiently while remaining mindful of your immediate and long-term goals. Medical information and scientific data can be difficult to decipher. We’re here to help you understand your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Trusted & Experienced Pharmaceutical Liability Lawyers
When pharmaceutical manufacturers put profit before everything else, patients throughout the United States suffer. If you were injured because of a dangerous drug or defective device, contact our Houston pharmaceutical liability lawyers to discuss your legal options.
Call us now at (713) 999-3681 to arrange your free and confidential consultation.
We Will Give You a Voice
We handle complex cases across the nation. Get our nationally recognized trial lawyers on your side today.